Leeds stations ongoing improvement work means service disruption during October with passengers advised to check their journeys ahead
The work taking place is ahead of the remodelling of the track layout between platforms 4 and 6 later in 2021 which will include lifting, replacing as well as completely remodelling the track. The improvement work will bring more reliable services for passengers with less need for unplanned disruption.
Teams will work around the clock to prepare for the new track crossover and also to put new overhead wires in place. At the same time, a new undertrack crossing will be installed between platforms 3 and 4 which is essential for signalling cables to run under the track. The project is expected to finish during early 2022.
For the work to be carried out safely, changes have been put in place:
Saturday the 30th of October:
Reduced train services will run both to and from Leeds station with some rail replacement buses in operation.
- Northern trains will run between York, Harrogate and Horsforth with rail replacement buses connecting passengers between Horsforth and Leeds.
- A revised timetable will be in place between Leeds and Skipton with passengers needing to change trains at Skipton for services to Morecambe and Carlisle.
- Rail replacement buses will replace Northern trains between Leeds and Kirkstall Forge.
- LNER services to and from Harrogate will now start and end at Leeds.
Sunday the 31st of October before 11:40am:
No trains to or from Leeds will run before 11:40 with reduced services after this time and for the rest of the day with rail replacement buses connecting passengers.
- Rail replacement buses will replace CrossCountry services between Wakefield Westgate and Leeds, and also between York and Leeds
- LNER trains will start and end at Doncaster, Wakefield Westgate or York with a replacement coach service running to and from Leeds.
- TransPennine Express trains will run with a revised timetable with rail replacement buses connecting passengers between Huddersfield and Selby and Leeds and York.
- Rail replacement buses will replace Northern trains between Leeds and Wakefield Westgate, where passengers can connect to Doncaster or Sheffield via Moorthorpe
- Rail replacement buses will replace Northern services between Leeds and Knottingley
- Rail replacement buses will replace Northern trains between Leeds and Wakefield Kirkgate, where passengers will be able to connect to Barnsley, Sheffield and Nottingham
- Rail replacement buses will replace Northern services between Leeds and Selby
- Rail replacement buses will connect passengers between Leeds and Skipton
Sunday the 31st of October after 11:40am:
- Northern trains will be running between York, Harrogate and Horsforth with rail replacement buses connecting passengers between Horsforth and Leeds
- A revised timetable will be in operation between Leeds and Skipton with passengers needing to change trains at Skipton for services to Morecambe and Carlisle
- Rail replacement buses will replace Northern trains between Leeds and Kirkstall Forge
- LNER services to and from Harrogate will start and end at Leeds
Passengers are being advised to plan ahead and to check their travel plans with National Rail Enquiries or their train operator, giving plenty of extra time for travelling.
Matt Rice, North and East Route Director for Network Rail, said: “Our teams are making solid progress on platforms 4-6 and while it might not be the most visually spectacular upgrade, the work here will make a meaningful difference for everyone who uses Leeds by having fewer late running trains.
“We’re doing as much as we can without needing to use bus replacements, but that’s unavoidable for a few days in October and I’m asking those who might be making a last-minute decision to catch the train over the coming weekends to check their journey times before they travel.”
The latest railway news
Railway Discounts, 4k Video, pictures and more!
Signup to our daily and weekly newsletters
Railway Prints, DVD’s / Blu-Ray’s, books and more
Come and share your railway pictures
UK STEAM INFO
Upcoming mainline steam tours/loco movements
Visit their website