HS2 Ltd has invited bidders to tender for a new section of the high-speed network from the West Midlands to Crewe.
The winner of the contract will deliver Advanced Civil Works (ACW) as part of the critical preparation work for the newly approved Phase 2a of HS2.
The ACW work will include:
- Land assembly which includes the possession, management and maintenance of HS2 land, which will include the installation of boundary fencing and security before handing the site over to the Main Civil Works contractors.
- Temporary works which will include the establishment of site compounds, plant crossings, access points, diversions and haul roads.
- Utilities which include dealing with existing utility asset protection and putting in place temporary connections to the works compounds.
- Site clearance and demolitions which will include all required demolitions along the route and also site clearance ahead of the Main Civil Works, which are due to take place during the summer of 2024.
- Environmental work which will include ecological and archaeological surveys, the planting of new woodland and wildlife translocation to new sites which have been prepared ahead.
Contractors invited to bid are:
- BAM Construction Ltd
- Galliford Try Construction Ltd
- John Graham Construction Ltd
- Kier Construction Ltd
- Laing O’Rourke Construction Ltd
- Skanska Construction Ltd
The £240m contract will divide work along the route into two different packages, with two separate contractors delivering work for the northern sections and southern sections. The work is expected to start during the Autumn of 2022.
Both north and south contracts are very similar and bidders must bid for both contracts but won’t be able to win both packages due to capacity and resilience reasons.
The announcement comes as HS2 Ltd begins to look for a Phase 2a Design and Delivery Partner (DDP) following the publishing of the Pre-Qualification Questionnaire for the £500m contract during June.
The contractor awarded the DDP package will work alongside HS2 Ltd and lead the delivery of a 36-mile route which will include managing and coordinating important contracts for the delivery of the railway’s comprehensive design and construction, including 17 viaducts, 65 bridges along with the track for the route which extends from Phase One in the Midlands to the southern edges of Crewe.
The Advanced Civil Works contract is put out for tender using the Government’s current Crown Commercial Services Construction Works and Associated Services framework.
HS2 Ltd chief commercial officer, Ruth Todd said: “Our announcement today marks another significant step forward in delivery of the next phase of Britain’s high speed railway, which will provide low carbon transport for millions of people.
“Extending the Phase 2a route to Crewe will support 6,500 construction jobs and deliver new infrastructure that frees up capacity on the West Coast railway and shortens journey times together with an improved passenger experience.”
The latest railway news
Railway Discounts, 4k Video, pictures and more!
Signup to our daily and weekly newsletters
Railway Prints, DVD’s / Blu-Ray’s, books and more
Come and share your railway pictures
UK STEAM INFO
Upcoming mainline steam tours/loco movements
Visit their website