The Epping Ongar Railway has confirmed that British Rail (BR) Class 14 diesel No.D9551 will be making a guest appearance at their line for the Autumn Diesel Gala in September.
Taking place over the weekend of Saturday 25th and Sunday 26th of September 2021, the Epping Ongar Railway’s Autumn Diesel Gala should see five in service over the weekend. These are:
- BR Class 37 No.D6729 (37029) – which will be turning 60 years on in Early October 2021!
- BR Class 03 No.D2170 – making its first appearance in BR Green livery
- BR Class 20 No.D8001 (20001) – first time operating in full Green livery
- BR Class 47 No.47635 “Jimmy Milne” – set to pull a rake of blue and grey coaching stock
- BR Class 14 No.D9551 – appearing in ‘Golden Ochre’ livery, D9551 joins the lineup thanks to owners SVR Class 14 Company Ltd based on the Severn Valley Railway (SVR)
For more information or to book your tickets for Epping Ongar Railway’s Autumn Diesel Gala, please visit their website here.
A brief history of 9551
D9551 entered service in September 1965 following the design of BR(W) and was based at Cardiff Canton. Following on from a move to Hull Dairycoates in 1967, the locomotive was withdrawn from service in 1968 after just 2 years and 7 months in service.
Having visited and being owned by many groups over the years, including the West Somerset Railway and the Royal Deeside Railway Preservation Society, the locomotive arrived at the Severn Valley Railway in 2013 and went under an overhaul. The locomotive debuted at the Spring Diesel Festival in May 2017.
The latest railway news
Railway Discounts, 4k Video, pictures and more!
Signup to our daily and weekly newsletters
Railway Prints, DVD’s / Blu-Ray’s, books and more
Come and share your railway pictures
UK STEAM INFO
Upcoming mainline steam tours/loco movements
Epping ONGar railway
Visit their website