Network Rail has launched a new campaign at Reading and Bristol Temple Meads stations aiming to promote safety.
The ‘Dont Learn Safety by Accident’ campaign is directed at passengers who may be less likely to engage with safety messaging and hopes to encourage them to take more care of their safety at railway stations.
The campaign will feature a selection of signs and posters using bright and colourful illustrations and catchy messages to demonstrate the safety risks in stations and restate the safety advice and how to prevent incidents.
Now that the summer holidays are over, lots of people are getting back to work, and also the start of the new school year, the campaign hopes to capture attention with the anticipated increase in passengers.
In the last year there have been 208 incidents at Bristol Temple Meads and Reading stations, including slips, trips and falls. 116 Incidents took place at Bristol Temple Meads, with 41 of those relating to accidents on stairways. Reading station saw 92 incidents recorded, 58 of which took place on escalators.
Teams at both Bristol Temple Meads and Reading stations have also added the following safety tips to keep safe at a railway station:
- Use lifts or step-free routes where available if you’re carrying luggage.
- Don’t rush when moving up or down stairs or escalators.
- Hold the handrail and concentrate on your footing to avoid stumbling or losing your balance
- Wear sensible footwear
- Avoid running at stations, especially in wet weather.
- Walk, don’t run
- Stay behind the marked yellow/white platform edge lines whilst waiting on the platforms
- Make sure you apply the brakes to prams and strollers, and always position parallel to the tracks
- Mind the gap between the train and the platform.
- Take extra care if you are feeling unwell, let a member of station staff know
- Look out for signs and posters that will help you get around the station easily and safely.
Andy Phillips, Network Rail station manager, Reading Station and Bristol Temple Meads Station, said: “Keeping everyone safe – from our workforce to our passengers – is at the heart of everything we do and we’re delighted to be launching this important safety campaign in Bristol and Reading.
“Although our stations already have numerous safety information displayed, we wanted to connect with those passengers who perhaps take less consideration about their own safety when in our stations as these passengers are arguably those who are most likely to experience a slip, trip or fall.
“The posters, banners and graphics we have installed at Bristol Temple Meads and Reading stations we hope will grab people’s attention and convey out latest safety messaging in a fun and engaging way.”
The latest railway news
Railway Discounts, 4k Video, pictures and more!
Signup to our daily and weekly newsletters
Railway Prints, DVD’s / Blu-Ray’s, books and more
Come and share your railway pictures
UK STEAM INFO
Upcoming mainline steam tours/loco movements
Visit their website