Both May and June 2021 have seen Network Rail carry out work towards phase 3 of the Victoria re-signalling project across London Victoria Station, Clapham Junction and Streatham.
Details of the work in theis part of the four year project were announced back in February.
Work undertaken includes the following:
- Balham North junction and Falcon Junction (Clapham) – Upgrading switches and crossings for newer, more reliable ones
- Three Bridge Rail Operating Centre – When the new signalling system is turned on, control of the railway will move from Victoria Area Signalling Centre to Three Bridges Rail Operating Centre.
- Clapham Junction area – overhaul and checking of drainage system to ensure minimal to no flooding, which in turns causes delays to trains
Work in this area has now finished for this phase, with more work due later this year, where the line will be closed, on the following dates:
- Saturday 16th to Sunday 17th October
- Saturday 27 to Sunday 28 November
- Saturday 25 December 2021 to Sunday 2 January 2022 (9-day closure)
To learn more about the project, please click here.
Network Rail route director, Sussex, Shaun King, said: “We’d like to thank those passengers travelling over May for their patience while we worked to upgrade and modernise the infrastructure on this part of the network to give passengers better, more reliable journeys. Passengers will see immediate benefits from our work to improve drainage and track, with further improvements to come once the new signalling comes into use in 2023”.
Customer Services Director for Southern, Chris Fowler said: “On behalf of our current and returning passengers, we thank Network Rail for progressing these vital signalling and drainage upgrades right on schedule.
“This coming Sunday there will be no Southern trains between Victoria and East Croydon, so if you do need to travel, please check your route in advance. You can be assured we’re working hard with our railway partners to keep rail travel safe, while we build a better all-round experience for our customers.”
The latest railway news
Railway Discounts, 4k Video, pictures and more!
Signup to our daily and weekly newsletters
Railway Prints, DVD’s / Blu-Ray’s, books and more
Come and share your railway pictures
UK STEAM INFO
Upcoming mainline steam tours/loco movements
Visit their website