In the process of preparing their new build London and North Eastern Railway (LNER) Peppercorn A1 Class No.60163 “Tornado” for mainline running later this year, the A1 Steam Locomotive Trust have undertaken some maintenance work to ensure smooth running for the next 12 months.
Although scheduled to operate mainline trains later on this year, “Tornado” is currently stored at the National Railway Museum (NRM) in York until tours can go ahead.
The Trust has been using this time to inspect the engine and note down any maintenance or replacements work to be done.
Back in August / September 2020 one coupled wheel spring had broken and was replaced, with the decision now made to replace the other five.
This should hopefully mean when 60163 returns to the track the locomotive can run with reduced chances of developing a fault.
The work was carried out at NRM York using their onsite facilities. The process for the work was:
- Using lifting equipment the five new springs were lowered into the Inspection Pit
- To create space to work under the engine, the team had to disassemble the Brake Gear Pull Rods
- Lifting the locomotive with hydraulic jacks to ease the pressure off the springs
- Removing nuts holding the spring boxes in place
- Removal of the spring boxes took longer than anticipated – more dismantling work and different approach to removal had to be tried
- Old springs removed – showing the worn condition
- Fit new springs onto the engine
- With the assistance of a North Yorkshire Moors Railway (NYMR) Fitter and weighing equipment, “Tornado” had the suspension and springs set on its Leading Bogie, Coupled Wheelsets and Trailing Truck.
These tasks took time to ensure each axle was carrying the correct weights as specified in the specification.
All work has now been completed, with 60163 now awaiting for resuming of mainline work.
The latest railway news
Signup to our daily and weekly newsletters
Railway Prints, DVD’s / Blu-Ray’s, books and more
Come and share your railway pictures
UK STEAM INFO
Upcoming mainline steam tours/loco movements
A1 Steam Loco Trust
Visit their website