The Bala Lake Railway has announced that they have been awarded a £150,000 grant as part of the Welsh Government’s Culture Recovery Fund.
The money will provide financial help for the railway and will go towards operating costs and will allow the railway to complete maintenance to trains and track, including relaying over 0.25 miles of track.
The money will also go towards completing the overhaul of Hunslet steam locomotive ‘Holy War’.
The grant will also allow the Bala Lake Railway to prepare for the 2021 season by:
- Rebuilding a disused carriage and returning it to passenger service to increase passenger capacity
- Overhauling another carriage
- Providing additional waiting facilities at Bala station
- Providing a weather canopy for outdoor tables at Llanuwchllyn
- Carrying out repairs to the workshop building to make it more energy-efficient
The Bala Lake Railway said: “We would like to thank the Welsh Government for this significant level of support that will enable us to welcome even more passengers to our wonderful railway in 2021 and beyond”.
Support the website and get benefits in return
The latest railway news
Railway Prints, DVD’s / Blu-Ray’s and more
Come and share your railway pictures
Mainline UK Steam Info
Upcoming mainline steam tours/loco movements
Bala Lake Railway
Visit their website