Southeastern has completed coronavirus swab testing around 20 of its busiest stations, and all tests have come back with no traces of COVID-19, which shows the effectiveness of the additional cleaning measures.
Six more stations will be tested in November, including Sittingbourne, Slade Green, Maidstone East, Ramsgate, Margate and Herne Bay.
By February 2021, 41 stations will have been tested for Coronavirus.
A private contractor completes the cleaning of stations, and all 165 stations will soon be tested for traces of the coronavirus.
Swab tests are taken from high touch areas and are analysed in a lab. About 80% of the swabs are taken from public areas such as benches and ticket hall doors, whilst the remaining 20% comes from swabs taken from kitchens and door handles.
David Wornham, Passenger Services Director for Southeastern, said: “With rising cases and England moving into its second national lockdown during the month of November, it is absolutely imperative that we are doing all we can to provide a safe environment on our trains and at our stations for those still needing to travel.
“It is great to see more negative test results from our stations and is testament to the work of our cleaning team who are regularly going above and beyond to ensure our passengers feel comfortable and confident travelling.
“In line with government guidelines, we are continuing to ask everyone to play their part in protecting others, so please only travel if essential and always wear a face-covering unless exempt.”
Around £400,000 has been spent by Southeastern for extra cleaning on its network, and recently launched its new SeatFinder service to help with social distancing.
The 20 other stations now with negative tests are Ashford, Chatham, Lewisham, Sevenoaks, Strood, Tonbridge, Tunbridge Wells, Orpington, Greenwich, Dartford, Gillingham, Sheerness, Rainham, Faversham, Rochester, Hastings, Bromley South, Herne Hill, Hither Green and Sidcup.
Support the website and get benefits in return
The latest railway news
Railway Prints, DVD’s / Blu-Ray’s and more
Come and share your railway pictures
Mainline UK Steam Info
Upcoming mainline steam tours/loco movements
Visit their website