The 5305 Locomotive Association has begun the overhaul of steam locomotive 30777 ‘Sir Lamiel’, but the group still needs help to raise funds for the overhaul.
There were only 74 N15 ‘King Arthur’ locomotives built, and 777 ‘Sir Lamiel’ is the only surviving member of the class.
Alan Berck-May has told RailAdvent that within the first few weeks since the launch of the Knights of the Round Table fundraiser, the 5305LA managed to raise around £20,000. However, he also said that they need “to raise about 80 thousand pounds over the next 2 to 3 years”.
The 5305 Locomotive Association has been custodians of Sir Lamiel for nearly 40 years. Sir Lamiel is part of the National Collection, and the 5305 Locomotive Association has completed previous overhauls of Sir Lamiel to mainline standard. Alan has told RailAdvent that the 5305 Locomotive Association has “a really good knowledge of the engine”.
Work has started at Loughborough, with the smokebox fittings being removed as well as all flues and tubes.
The Petticoat Pipe has been found to be in poor condition and will need a replacement. To replace this, a pattern will be made, and a casting completed before it is machined ready for refitting – this will cost the 5305 Locomotive Association around £2,000 to complete. Therefore, the group are looking for sponsors to get this completed.
Once the tubes have been removed, a full boiler inspection can be carried out to assess the repairs needed.
Volunteers will carry out most of the overhaul at Loughborough – the 5305 Locomotive Association are always looking for new volunteers, so if you are interested, please use the email address below.
Alan Berck-May, Chairman of the 5305 Locomotive Association, told RailAdvent: “We have been custodians of Sir Lamiel (part of the National Collection) for nearly 40 years, completing previous overhauls to main line standards. Therefore, we have a really good knowledge of the engine and, based on this experience, we are planning for a return to steam in three years ready for Sir Lamiel’s 100th birthday celebrations.”
“5305LA volunteers will be undertaking much of the work involved in the overhaul at Loughborough. “Many hands make light work”, or so the saying goes. We are always looking for new members to join the association and we are particularly interested to hear from people who want to get more actively involved. We work at Loughborough most weekends and will be starting our Wednesday evenings in the next few weeks. We also need help with our sales stand. Please contact us at [email protected]”
Paul White, of the 5305 Locomotive Association, told RailAdvent: “This is your chance to be part of British Steam History, something to tell your friends and family that you have been a major contributor in. For more information, feel free to email [email protected]”
To find out more about the Knight of the Round Table fundraising programme, please visit the Sir Lamiel website by clicking here. Any donation is gratefully received by the 5305LA, but if you want to make a larger donation, there are a few benefits you will receive:
If you donate £1000, or make four donations of £250, 10 monthly donations of £100, or 36 monthly donations of £27.78, then you will receive the following:
- 25% off standard class seats on the first mainline railtour.
- Life membership to the 5305 Locomotive Association.
- 10% off of all 5305 Locomotive Association sales merchandise.
- A very special one of a kind exclusive 777 Knights of the Round Table Fleece complete with your name embroidered on it – these will not be available to the general public.
- Free seats on the inaugural train at the Great Central Railway.
- An invite to a special Knights of the Round Table event when the overhaul is completed (not open to the general public).
- Your name will be engraved on to the Round Table and displayed prominently (subject to a suitable display location being agreed)
- Footplate access, when stationary, to 777 cab when practically possible at the Great Central Railway.
- Prearranged “behind the scenes” shed tours by a 5305 Locomotive Association guide during any visit to the Great Central Railway, your questions answered by those involved in the overhaul.
- The opportunity to support, volunteer and actually work on her overhaul.
If you are interested in sponsoring any of the work, you can email the 5305 Locomotive Association using this email address: [email protected]
Get image downloads, Prints and Streaming Video
The latest railway news
Railway Prints, DVD’s / Blu-Ray’s and more
Come and share your railway pictures
Mainline UK Steam Info
Upcoming mainline steam tours/loco movements
Visit their website