Rail passengers are being urged to check before travelling this August by Network Rail as upgrade work takes place to improve journeys.
To allow the work to be carried out, sections of the Midland Main Line will be closed meaning passengers may need to change trains or use rail replacement buses.
Being carried out over weekends and during the August Bank Holiday, the work includes:
- 1/2 August – work will continue ahead of construction of the new Brent Cross West Station, which is expected to open in 2022.
- 8/9 and 15/16 August – Work will be carried out to renew the track on the approach to St Pancras International station.
- 22/23 August – engineers will test and commission new overhead line equipment on the route.
- 29/30/31 August – Work will take place to commission the overhead lines and signalling system, as an important part of the construction of Brent Cross West station.
- 29/30/31 August – Work will be carried out to renew the track, and replace the sleepers and ballast, between Mill Hill Broadway and St Pancras International.
Gary Walsh, Route Director for Network Rail’s East Midlands Route, said: “This vital work will improve journeys for passengers travelling on the Midland Main Line and will help to keep the railway running reliably and smoothly for many years to come.
“We are carrying out this work over weekends in August and the Bank Holiday weekend when fewer people travel. We strongly advise passengers to check before they travel with National Rail Enquiries or their train operator, and we would like to apologise for any inconvenience.”
A spokesperson on behalf of train operators on the route said: “We understand that any engineering work can be inconvenient, and we would like to thank our passengers for their patience whilst these improvements are carried out on the Midland Main Line.
“Passengers should check their individual journey in advance if they are travelling over the weekends throughout August. They may need to change trains, use alternative routes or use bus replacement services.
“This work is really important to improve journeys for passengers on the Midland Main Line and bring a more reliable railway.”
Get image downloads, Prints and Streaming Video
For the Latest Railway News
RailAdvent Online Shop
Railway Prints, DVD’s / Blu-Ray’s and more
LocoStop – The RailAdvent Community
Come and share your railway pictures
Mainline UK Steam Info
Upcoming mainline steam tours/loco movements
Visit their website