Rail passengers in Sussex are being advised by Network Rail to follow Government advice as vital engineering works take place.
Trains between Three Bridges, Brighton and Lewes, will be affected, with a reduced timetable in operation.
The work will allow Network Rail to improve facilities and allow for better train services for rail passengers.
Following Government advice, Network Rail will only be carrying out engineering work that is required to maintain a safe railway.
Upgrade work in Sussex between Saturday 9th May 2020 and Sunday 10th May 2020 includes:
- Engineering work will be taking place at Cooksbridge level crossing and at Clayton Tunnel, which is near Hassocks.
- Rail replacement buses will be in operation between Three Bridges, Lewes and Brighton.
- Southern train services, which operate between London Victoria and Brighton, will be diverted to run via Horsham – this will extend journey times.
- Trains between London Victoria and Bognor Regis, Portsmouth and Southampton will operate on a revised timetable.
- A revised timetable will also be in operation for trains between Brighton and Littlehampton, Portsmouth and Southampton.
- Thameslink train services between Three Bridges and Brighton will be replaced with road transport.
- Trains between Bedford and Brighton are subject to an increase in journey times and will not call at London Bridge on Sunday 10th May 2020.
- Passengers wanting to travel to London Bridge on a Thameslink train need to change at East Croydon or travel via London Blackfriars.
Shaun King, route director for Sussex, said “I know passengers feel we’re always working on the railway, but the work we do is even more vital right now because we must continue delivering critical goods like food and medicine while providing a reliable railway for people who can’t work from home. The only way we can keep doing that reliably and safely is by constantly improving and renewing the railway. Train operators will be running as many trains as they can, but I would urge passengers to only travel if you have to, and check your journey ahead of time.”
Chris Fowler, Customer Services Director for Southern and Gatwick Express, said “We join Network Rail in thanking those who need to travel over the weekend for their dedication and patience, with extra thanks to those in the Lewes area where services have been affected on consecutive weekends. This essential work will help improve the reliability and capacity of our passengers’ train services. We ask those who need to travel to use the train service to Brighton via Horsham and Littlehampton, or the rail replacement buses between Three Bridges and Brighton or between Three Bridges and Lewes, via Plumpton and Cooksbridge. If you do need to travel, check before you set off, and please continue to follow Government advice.”
Get image downloads, Prints and Streaming Video
For the Latest Railway News
RailAdvent Online Shop
Framed Prints, DVD’s / Blu-Ray’s and more
Come and share your railway pictures
Mainline Steam Info
Upcoming mainline steam tours/loco movements
Visit their website