Rail passengers are being urged by Network Rail to check before travelling this Easter, Friday 10th – Monday 13th April 2020, as £113m of investment is delivered across Britain.
Rail workers will carry out 420 projects over the Easter period to improve the reliability of the railway in Britain.
Train operators and Network Rail have worked together to minimise disruption for passengers.
The significant projects this Easter include:
- HS2 works, and track renewal work will take place between London Euston and Watford Junction, Milton Keynes and Northampton to improve track quality.
- The WCML will be closed north of Crewe due to drainage works taking place between Crewe and Warrington. Track renewal at Golbourne and points renewal at Euxton Junction will also take place to improve reliability. Trains between London Euston and Glasgow Central / Edinburgh Waverley via Birmingham New Street will depart and terminate at Crewe.
- On Easter Sunday, an amended service out of London Paddington will operate due to signalling commissioning between London Paddington and Slough.
- Overhead wire equipment commissioning between Bedford and Market Harborough (Saturday) and between Luton and Market Harborough (Sunday) will see a bus replacement service in operation. East Midlands Railway trains will also be replaced by buses between Corby and Kettering over the weekend.
- No trains will run to London Fenchurch Street due to track renewal and overhead wire equipment renewal work between Fenchurch Street and Barking. Trains will be diverted to London Liverpool Street.
What did the officials say?
Andrew Haines, Network Rail chief executive, said:
“We know that train performance has to improve if we are to provide the railway passengers and freight users deserve, which is why this Easter thousands of our colleagues will be working around the clock to deliver crucial upgrades.
“While fewer people travel over bank holidays, some of our passengers will have important travel plans – to go on holiday, or visit friends and family. We are asking those passengers to check in advance whether their journey might be impacted by our upgrade works.”
Get image downloads, Prints and Streaming Video
For the Latest Railway News
RailAdvent Online Shop
Framed Prints, DVD’s / Blu-Ray’s and more
Come and share your railway pictures
Mainline Steam Info
Upcoming mainline steam tours/loco movements
Visit their website