Damage to the overhead electric wires between Harpenden and Bedford this morning is causing rail disruption to trains between London St Pancras International and Bedford.
As a result of this damage, trains may be cancelled or delayed.
Disruption is expected to last until the end of the day
A full repair to the damaged overhead wires is not likely to be complete until tonight.
Thameslink Passenger Advice:
Thameslink passengers must note that there will be disruption throughout the day today. During the morning peak, there will be significant reductions to the service.
Due to trains having to travel via alternative lines, trains may have to use a different platform than normal.
Bedford to London
- There will be a reduced service running on the available lines (2 of 4 are open). Passengers should check journey planners for trains that are running. Trains will leave from different platforms.
Gatwick to London via Redhill
- There will be a reduced service and passengers will need to check for trains that are running and use alternative services. Passengers might need to travel to London Victoria and use London Underground services to complete your journey.
East Grinstead to London
- Passengers need to use the Southern services which are running to London Victoria and the London Underground services to complete your journey.
Littlehampton to London
- These trains will not be running, passengers will need to use Southern services to London Victoria the London Underground services to complete your journey.
Thameslink expect that most services that run to/from Sutton, Brighton, Peterborough, Horsham and Cambridge will be able to run, however, some cancellations are likely.
Ticket Acceptance – North of London
- Thameslink and Great Northern trains running from Peterborough towards London.
- London Northwestern Railway services between Bedford and Bletchley and St Albans Abbey to Watford Junction to connect to trains to London Euston.
- 321 between Luton and St Albans via Harpenden and onto Watford Junction
Arriva: The Shires / Greenline
- 724 between Hertford North and St Albans (for Welwyn Garden City, Hatfield and also Watford Junction)
- 100 / 101 between Stevenage and Luton
- 301 / 302 between Hatfield and St Albans
- 755 / 757 between Luton Station, Luton Airport and London Victoria (Buckingham Place Road
- 601 between Welwyn Garden City and Radlett (for Hatfield and St Albans City)
- 602 between Hatfield, St Albans and Radlett
- 653 between Welwyn Garden City, Hatfield and St Albans City
- 610/612 Between Luton, Harpenden, Hatfield (town centre), Welham Green, Brookmans Park and Potters Bar
Ticket Acceptance – Across London
- London Underground – On all routes across London to allow travel between London terminals.
- London Buses – On all journeys across London.
Ticket Acceptance – South of London
- Southern – On all routes between Brighton / East Grinstead / Littlehampton and London as well as around South London.
- Gatwick Express – For travel from Brighton where there are a number of cancellations.
- South Western Railway – from Wimbledon to Central London.
- Southeastern – between Sevenoaks, Rainham and London.
East Midlands Railway Customer Advice:
Trains through the area may be delayed by up to 20 minutes.
Alternative routes are available on the following:
Passengers may travel to Doncaster where you should change for a train to London Kings Cross. It is likely to take between 2 and 2.5 hours to complete this journey.
Derby / Chesterfield
Passengers may travel to Birmingham New Street where you should change for a train to London Euston. It is likely to take between 2.5 and 3 hours to complete this journey.
Travellers may travel on one of the Regional services to Leicester where you should change for a train to London St Pancras. It is likely your journey will be extended by 30 minutes.
Passengers may travel to either Derby or Nottingham where you should change for trains to London St Pancras. It is likely your journey will be extended by 30 minutes.
Get image downloads, Prints and Streaming Video
For the Latest Railway News
RailAdvent Online Shop
Framed Prints, DVD’s / Blu-Ray’s and more
Come and share your railway pictures
Mainline Steam Info
Upcoming mainline steam tours/loco movements