The Gwili Railway, which is based at Bronwydd Arms, Carmarthen, has announced that GWR Pannier Tank steam locomotive No. L92 (5786) will be joining the fleet from March until mid-July.
This visit will be L92’s first visit to Wales for 62 years and currently appears in London Transport red livery.
It has not been confirmed the exact dates that L92 will arrive and depart, but as soon as we hear anything, we will let you know.
A little information about L92
L92, or GWR 5786, is a GWR Pannier Tank that was built at Swindon Works to the design of C. B. Collett. Completed in 1930, L92 became one of over 800 57XX Pannier Tanks that was built. 5786 entered service in January 1930 at Aberdare shed and remained in South Wales throughout its life with the GWR and BR(W). Its last depot was Cardiff Canton.
The locomotive has been in preservation since 1958 and has visited many railways throughout the years. L92 now resides at the South Devon Railways.
L92 running dates
The dates that L92 will be in operation are as follows:
- March – 1st St. David’s Day Sunday Dining Train (please note not suitable for foot passengers due to operational times).
- March – 21st Taster Driver Experience day and 22nd Mother’s Day Sunday Lunch.
- April – Easter Holidays 9th (Strawberry Cream Tea Trains), Easter Bunny Weekend 10/11/12/13, 16th, 23rd & 30th (Strawberry Cream Tea Trains), 25th Full Driver Experience Day, 26th Sunday Dining Train.
- May – 2nd & 3rd Teddy Bears’ Picnic, 7th & 31st Normal Steam Service with L92, 8th Special VE Day Cream tea Train and Evacuee Experience, 9th & 10th VE London Transport Weekend, 16th Taster Driver Experience Day, 17th Sunday Dining Train, 14th, 21st & 28th (Strawberry Cream Tea Trains), 23rd & 24th Circus Skills Weekend, 25th Bank Holiday Steam.
- June – 3rd, 10th & 24th Normal Steam Service with L92, 4th, 11th, 18th & 25th (Strawberry Cream Tea Trains), 13th Superhero Day, 14th Sunday Dining Train, 20th & 21st Summer Steam and Diesel Gala.
- July – 1st, 8th 15th, 22nd, 26th & 29th Normal Steam Service with L92, 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd & 30th (Strawberry Cream Tea Trains), 21st & 22nd Circus Skills Days, 4th Full Driver Experience Day, 5th Sunday Dining Train, 19th Classic Transport Show.
What did the officials say?
Scott Artus, the Gwili Railway Marketing manager, said:
“We are delighted to be hosting this wonderful engine for part of the year and are very grateful to both the Worcester Locomotive Society and the South Devon Railway for the loan”
Free Pictures, prints and streaming video!
For the Latest Railway News
RailAdvent Online Shop
Framed Prints, DVD’s / Blu-Ray’s and more
Come and share your railway pictures
Mainline Steam Info
Upcoming mainline steam tours/loco movements
Visit their website