Saturday 6th April 2019 saw 8F 48151 & Merchant Navy 35018 British India Line head to the Wensleydale Railway on The Wensleydale Railway railtour.
The Wensleydale Railway tour ran from Carnforth to Bedale (Wensleydale Railway) and return via Holgate Siding & Gascoigne Wood Down Loop.
This day saw the 8F & Merchant Navy head through places such as Hellifield, Skipton, Keighley, Shipley, the Leeds area, Church Fenton, York, Thirsk & Northallerton.
The tour ran double headed from Carnforth to Holgate Siding, top n tail with 35018 leading from Holgate Siding to Northallerton Rev Line, 48151 leading from Northallerton Rev Line to Bedale, 35018 leading from Bedale to Northallerton Rev Line, Northallerton Rev Line to Gascoigne Wood Down Loop & double headed for the final section from Gascoigne Wood Down Loop to Carnforth
The tour was originally meant to go to Leyburn but due to delays the tour didn’t go any further than Bedale.
Saturday 6th April saw RailView filmed 48151 & 35018 British India Line at places such as, Church Fenton, Yorkshire, passing through on time at 12:12, York, arriving 3 mins late at 13:06 & departing 5 mins late at 13:11. Aiskew Level Crossing (just outside Leeming Bar, North Yorkshire) passing through at 16:11 passing through no report. Thirsk, Yorkshire, 1 min late at 17:42. Church Fenton for the 2nd time passing through on time at 18:30 & Burton Salmon, Yorkshire passing through on time at 19:26.
Below are some images taken during our day:
Info about 48151:
- Designed by Sir William Stanier.
- Built by the LMS at Crewe Works in 1942.
- Withdrawn from BR service in 1968
- Purchased by Woodham Brothers Scrapyard, Barry in 1968
- Purchased directly from BR for preservation by a private owner in 1975 moving to the Yorkshire Dales Railway, now Embsay & Bolton Abbey Railway
- She was then purchased by David Smith, her current owner.
- Returned to service on the mainline after a full restoration in the 1988
- For a period, she carried the name Gauge O Guild
- She is due to be withdrawn for overhaul in 2019
Info about 35018 British India Line:
- Designed by Oliver Bullied
- Built by the SR in 1945 at Eastleigh Works
- Rebuilt by BR in 1956 at Eastleigh Works
- She was withdrawn from BR in 1964
- Purchased by Woodham Brothers Scrapyard for scrap in 1964
- Purchased by Richard Heather & John Bunch for preservation in 1979
- In 1980 she was moved to the Mid Hants Railway where very little restoration work would take place
- In 2003 she was taken to South Coast Steam Limited, Portland, Dorset with very little restoration work taking place
- In 2012 she was purchased by David Smith and was moved to Carnforth Steamtown, Lancashire for full restoration to take place
- She returned to service in 2017, facing many problems
- She fully made a successful return in 2018
See more of videos like this on RailView’s YouTube Channel by clicking here.