Sunday 7th April 2019 saw the North Yorkshire Moors Railway host their season opening event for 2019 featuring Spam Can 34092 City of Wells.
This event was a two weekend event starting on 30th March and finishing on 7th April.
This event originally was meant to have 60009 Union of South Africa at the event but due to winter maintenance over running, she was not available for the event.
So 34092 City of Wells stepped in to save the day as 60009s replacement
City of Wells made a very good replacement, making lots of noise and giving fantastic performances up the 1 in 49 bank from Grosmont to Goathland.
Locos running on 7th April was:
- 34092 City of Wells (visiting courtesy of the East Lancashire Railway)
- 926 Repton
Sunday 7th April saw RailView film at places such as Grosmont Sheds, Newbridge, Goathland Summit, Darnholme, Green End, (footage courtesy of Dan Sutcliffe) and Esk Valley.
Here are some images from our day:
Info about 34092 City of Wells
- Designed by Oliver Bullied
- Built by the BR in 1949 at Brighton Works
- She was originally named Wells in 1949
- She was renamed City of Wells in 1950
- She was withdrawn from BR in 1964
- Purchased by Woodham Brothers Scrapyard for scrap in 1965
- Purchased by Graham Bentley and Richard Greenwood for preservation in 1971
- She returned to service after restoration in 1979
- In 1986, she was fitted with a Giesl Ejector to improve smoke deflection and fuel consumption, allowing it to steam well with low-grade coal
- Throughout the 1980s she was a star performer on the KWVR & on the mainline
- She was taken out of service for overhaul in 1989
- 25 Years later, she returned to service in 2014
- While leaving the KWVR to visit the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Steam Railway for a gala, she was too heavy to cross over a bridge near Ingrow West due to the water in her boiler not being emptied
- She was then moved to the East Lancashire Railway for a gala where she would remain due to the ban of steam locos crossing over the bridge near Ingrow West
- In 2017, an agreement was made between the owners & ELR for the ELR to purchase her.
- In March 2019, she was purchased by the ELR.
See more of videos like this on RailView’s YouTube Channel by clicking here.