Flying Scotsman is due to visit the Swanage Railway, hauling passenger trains from 22nd March until 26th March 2019.
Due to the demand and the popularity of this engine, the railway has taken these safety precautions to keep the public safe.
The changes and closures are as follows:
- Impose a temporary suspension on part of the coach drop off / pick up bay on the southern side of Gilbert Road from the western end of the taxi rank, westwards for a distance of approximately 60 metres.
- Close Northbrook Road between its junctions with Court Road and Gilbert Road, a distance of approximately 60 metres.
- Impose a clearway on both sides of the A351 in the vicinity of Afflington road bridge, for a distance of approximately 200 metres.
The reasons for these conditions are:
- to provide a safe passenger waiting area, and prevent overcrowding on the public highway;
- to provide a safe area for pedestrians. It is anticipated that pedestrians will congregate on this bridge to view the Flying Scotsman as it enters and leaves Swanage Station;
- to prevent vehicles from stopping on the A351 and causing an obstruction/hazard to other highway users.
Please abide by these rules if you are visiting, and as always, enjoy yourself!