Monday 31st December New Years Eve 2018 saw 70013 Oliver Cromwell bid farewell as she ran for the last time before she is withdrawn for her 10 year overhaul.
This video features exclusive footage by both RailView & the 5305 Locomotive Association filmed at the Great Central Railway including a volunteers eye view with prepping, the final light up, footplate footage, go pro footage, lineside footage & on board the train.
On this day 70013 carried The East Anglian headboard which is a train 70013 would’ve hauled at some point in the steam days.
70013 has travelled far & wide in 2018, hauling mainline railtours in the first part of the year, visiting the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway for their Spring Steam Gala, the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway for their Cotswold Festival of Steam 2018, National Railway Museum Locomotion Shildon for their Annual Steam Gala as well as the Great Central Railway running normal services & staring at galas such as Goods Galore, End of BR Steam Gala for two weeks, Autumn Steam Gala & Last Hurrah of The Season gala.
A special THANK YOU must go to the 5305 Locomotive Association. Why? Because since 2004 they have been custodians of her and taken fantastic care of her meaning that we always get enjoy Oliver Cromwell on the mainline & on preserved railways
Here are some photos from the last day:
Info about 70013 Oliver Cromwell:
- Designed by Robert Riddles
- Built by BR in 1951
- She was the final Locomotive to be overhauled at Crewe Works in 1967
- She hauled the 1T57 Fifteen Guinea Special (the final steam hauled train for BR) from Manchester to Carlisle on 11th August 1968
- She was withdrawn from BR in 1968
- In 1968 she was preserved and became part of the national collection & was taken to Bressingham Steam Museum
- In 2004 she left Bressingham & went to Railfest 2004 hosted at the NRM York
- From there she was would head to the Great Central Railway to be restored under the custodianship of the 5305 Locomotive Association with a huge campaign from Steam Railway Magazine
- She returned to steam in 2008 for the 40th anniversary of the end of BR steam
- She is now currently awaiting a decision on her overhaul by her owners the National Railway Museum
Become a member of the 5305 Locomotive Association today by clicking here
Check out the 5305 Locomotive Associations YouTube channel by clicking here
For the Latest Railway News
Framed Prints, DVD’s / Blu-Ray’s and more
LocoStop – The RailAdvent Community
Come and share your railway pictures
5305 Locomotive Association
Visit their website