6233 Duchess of Sutherland & 60009 Union of South Africa was out yesterday (17th November 2018) on The York Yuletide Express from Ealing Broadway (London) to York returning behind 60009 Union of South Africa.
The tour is The York Yuletide Express which usually runs twice a year and run by The Railway Touring Company, this being the 1st of the year.
Each York Yuletide Express tour for 2018 is being hauled by 6233 Duchess of Sutherland & 60009 Union of South Africa.
6233 Duchess of Sutherland hauled the tour on the outward leg from Ealing Broadway (London) to York & 60009 Union of South Africa hauled the return of the tour from York to Ealing Broadway (London)
Today RailView filmed 6233 Chesterfield, Derbyshire departing at 12.08 running on time, Slitting Mill sited near Barrow Hill Roundhouse in Derbyshire at 12:48 running 17 minutes late & Swinton (South Yorkshire) passing through at 13:09 running 15 minutes late & 60009 at Chesterfield arriving in at 18:43 running 22 minutes late & departing at 18:49 running 26 minutes late
This was 6233s first mainline tour since October 2017
About 6233 Duchess of Sutherland
- Designed by Sir William Stanier
- Built by the LMS in 1938 at Crewe Works
- She was withdrawn from BR in 1964
- Purchased by Butlins in 1964 she was taken to Ayr in Scotland for 7yrs
- Bought by Alan Bloom in 1971 and was at Bressingham Steam Museum on permanent loan for 32yrs
- Purchased outright by Alan Bloom in 1989 and was moved to the East Lancashire Railway temporarily for an exercise to establish what repairs were necessary and how much they would cost.
- Purchased by The Princess Royal Class Locomotive Trust in 1996 and taken to The West Shed at Swanick Junction on the Midland Railway Centre where she was restored to working order in 2001
- The Duchess has hauled the Royal Train on two occasions
About 60009 Union of South Africa
- Designed by Sir Nigel Gresley
- Built by The LNER in 1937 at Doncaster Works
- She was withdrawn from BR in 1966
- Her original name was Osprey
- Her second/current name is Union of South Africa
- She was purchased by John Cameron in 1966 who is her current owner
See more of videos like this on RailView’s YouTube Channel by clicking here.