The Welsh Highland Heritage Railway has announced this morning that steam locomotive ‘Russell’ has passed its yearly boiler exam.
The locomotive, which is often seen on public trains during the summer months, will now be ready to haul passenger trains during the Summer.
Russell, one of three resident steam locomotives at the Welsh Highland Heritage Railway – alongside ‘Gertrude’ and recently overhauled ‘Gelert’, provides trains that run between Porthmadog and Pen-y-mount Junction via Gelerts Farm Works.
Russell should be back in action soon – why not make a visit over the Bank Holiday Weekend?
A brief history of Russell
Russell was built for the Welsh Highland Railway by the Hunslet Engine Co. in 1906. It is the sole surviving locomotive from the original Welsh Highland Railway. It returned to steam in 2014 after a lengthy overhaul and has been seen visiting the Ffestiniog Railway in 1990 and visiting the Talyllyn Railway in 2015 for ‘Talyllyn 150’ alongside Ffestiniog Loco No.2 ‘Prince’ and Bluebell loco ‘Captain Baxter’.