On the 2nd September, we find ourselves visiting the Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway for their annual steam gala for 2017 – our first visit to the railway on a gala weekend.
The event featured plenty of things to see, including model railways. Also based at Llanfair Caereinion were traction engines and old vehicles.
The Welshpool & Llanfair Railway put on a great show, with an intensive service in operation during our visit. It was great to see Bagnall 0-6-2T “Superb”, which was visiting from the Sittingbourne & Kemsley Light Railway.
With the intensive service, it meant we were able to see trains at every station on the line, which are Llanfair Caereinion, Cynfronydd, Castle Caereinion, Sylfaen and Welshpool Raven Sqaure.
Locomotives which feature in the video
Below is a list of locomotives which feature in our video.
- 0-6-0T Beyer Peacock Ex-GWR No. 1 ‘The Earl’ – Built in 1902
- 0-6-0T Beyer Peacock Ex-GWR No. 2 ‘Countess’ – Built in 1902
- 0-4-4-0T W. G. Bagnall No. 6 ‘Monarch’ – Built in 1953 (Not in service – on static display at Welshpool Raven Square)
- 0-6-2T Kerr Stuart No. 12 ‘Joan’ – Built in 1929 (features as station pilot at Llanfair Caereinion)
The video features plenty of steam, with the freight wagons being used throughout the day, and also the vintage carriages, which were also in action throughout our visit.
Thanks to the WLLR for putting on a great show, enjoy the video 🙂
- Visit the Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway Website
For more information