The Downpatrick & County Down Railway has started the restoration of Córas Iompair Éireann (CIÉ) ‘laminate’ carriage No. 1918.
This is one of the first carriages the railway acquired, arriving at Downpatrick in the late 1980s. It is now looking weather-worn and has not carried passengers for some time. The carriage, in maroon livery, has been sitting unused next to the station platform for some considerable time, but is now being prepared for a complete refurbishment.

The major task is to completely replace the roof, which has caused its weather-worn appearance, and, in preparation, the interior is being stripped back to the frame. This has entailed removing fixtures such as lamps, tables, and seats, as well as a wooden bar structure installed many years ago for use as a temporary buffet that is no longer needed.
The space created from the removal of the wooden bar will be converted into a wheelchair-accessible area, facilitated by a double door to this part of the carriage.
Built in 1957 at CIE’s works at Inchicore in Dublin from laminated wood, it is one of only a few carriages built of laminated wood to survive. The carriage is one of the last designs to be completely constructed from scratch at Inchicore, as later carriages were assembled from kits of parts.

Work on the carriage has taken over from the restoration of 80 Class power car No. 69, since January’s ambient temperatures are unsuitable for paints and fillers, which cannot be used at temperatures below 5°. Until space becomes available in the workshop, probably after the 80 class is moved out, volunteers will be working on preparatory work for the overhaul of carriage No. 1918 by dismantling its interior.
The Downpatrick & County Down Railway also has restored Edwardian carriages originally used by the Belfast & County Down Railway.



Responses