Saturday 5th June would see LMS Stanier Jubilee No. 45690 Leander haul The Scarborough Flyer from Manchester Victoria to Scarborough.
The Scarborough Flyer tour was previously run under the name The East Yorkshireman and usually runs in late spring or early summer from Liverpool or Manchester to Scarborough & return via York & Milford Loop.
After Milford Loop, the tour is usually hauled back to Manchester or Liverpool diesel hauled.
This was to be Leander’s second tour since returning to service, the loco was withdrawn in 2019 after receiving major maintenance with her first tour being The Dalesman to Carlisle on 1st June.
The Scarborough Flyer would see the Jubilee head through places such as: Romiley, Chinley, Edale, Hathersage, Grindleford, Sheffield, Meadowhall, Swinton, Goldthorpe, Moorthorpe, Pontefract Baghill, Church Fenton, York, Malton, & Seamer.
In this video, RailView would capture the Jubilee on the outward leg at places such as:
- Miles Platting, Greater Manchester, passing through at 07:49 on time.
- Chinley, Derbyshire, passing through at 09:21 6 minutes late.
- Chinley North Junction, Chinley, Derbyshire, passing through at 09:23 6 minutes late.
- Goldthorpe, Yorkshire, passing through at 11:07 3 minutes early.
- Haxby, Yorkshire, passing through at 12:35 on time.
Info about 45690 Leander:
- Designed by Sir William Stanier.
- Built by the LMS at Crewe Works in 1936.
- Numbered 5690.
- In 1948 she was renumbered to 45690.
- Withdrawn from BR in 1964.
- She was then sold to Woodham Brothers Scrapyard in South Wales.
- Purchased for preservation by Brian Oliver in 1972.
- She is currently owned by Chris Beet.
- She returned to service after an overhaul in autumn 2014.
- Her current livery BR lined Black with early crest.
- She is based at Carnforth Steamtown in Lancashire.
- Leander mainly hauls rail tours around the north of England.
The latest railway news
Discounts, videos, pictures and more!
Signup to our daily and weekly newsletters
Railway Prints, DVD’s / Blu-Ray’s, books and more
Come and share your railway pictures
UK STEAM INFO
Upcoming mainline steam tours/loco movements