April 2021 marks 10 years of Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM), who, ever since their formation, have gone from strength to strength in delivering and developing transport infrastructure across the Greater Manchester area.
TfGM was formed following the rebranding of the Greater Manchester Passenger Transport Executive (GMPTE), along with new powers.
Transport users in the Greater Manchester area will most likely have benefited from the TfGM.
Projects and schemes include:
- Metrolink ‘Phase Three’ 2010 to 2015 – Creation of the route to Rochdale via Oldham, Ashton-under-Lyne, East Didsbury and Manchester Airport, among many others new lines – costing £1.5 billion
- Trafford Park Line March 2015 – Laying over 3 miles of track and building six new stops serving an area with high commuter and leisure traffic – costing £350 million
- Transport Interchanges – at Rochdale, Ashton, Altrincham, Wythenshawe and Bolton
- The TravelSafe Partnership – Focusing on tackling crime on public transport with a partnership between TfGM and Greater Manchester Police
- Upgraded Bus Stations – at both Radcliffe and Wigan
- Leigh to Ellenbrook Guided Busway in April 2016 – a high in demand service – costing £122 million
- Bee Network – First 55 miles built as safe cycling and walking routes, a scheme set to continue
Chief Executive Officer of Transport for Greater Manchester Eamonn Boylan said: “This is a significant landmark, and it gives us the opportunity to look back, with great pride, on everything we’ve achieved to improve transport for our customers, and I’d like to personally thank everyone who played a part in that.
“Our goal now is to deliver world-class connections that support long-term, sustainable economic growth and an integrated transport network.
“We need to focus on creating the right environment for 50% of all journeys to be made by walking, cycling and public transport by 2040. It’s a vision that all of our staff are committed to delivering for everyone who lives, works and visits Greater Manchester.”
The latest railway news
Signup to our daily and weekly newsletters
Railway Prints, DVD’s / Blu-Ray’s, books and more
Come and share your railway pictures
UK STEAM INFO
Upcoming mainline steam tours/loco movements