Passengers are being reminded by Network Rail to continue to follow the guidance as it carries out over the Bank Holiday Weekend to upgrade the railway in Sussex.
The advice to passengers is still to find an alternative to trains if they have to travel, such as walking, cycling or driving.
If a journey by train must be made, face masks and social distancing guidelines must be adhered to.
Shaun King, route director for Sussex, said “Network Rail will be working hard this late bank holiday weekend to improve the railway in Sussex and provide better and more reliable services. Passengers have shown themselves to be incredibly understanding while we invest heavily to improve our railway and I’d like to thank them in advance for their support. I urge passengers to only travel if you have to and check your journey ahead of time.”
Chris Fowler, Customer Services Director for Southern and Gatwick Express, said “We also thank our passengers who need to travel over the weekend for their patience while Network Rail carry out this vital work to further improve the reliability of services to and from Sussex. There will be no trains between South Croydon and East Grinstead or Uckfield over the three-day weekend, and replacement bus services will run to and from Purley. Please follow the government advice to travel only if absolutely necessary, and avoid public transport if at all possible. If you really have to use a train or bus, it is important to check routes and times before you set off, follow social distancing guidance and wear a face covering if you can.”
The major projects to be carried out over this late May Bank Holiday include:
- Maintenance on Tunnels at Oxted, Edenbridge and Riddlestown
- Switches and crossings will be upgraded at Lingfield and Woldingham along with track renewals at Oxted.
- Southern trains will not run between South Croydon and East Grinstead / Uckfield.
- Rail passengers need to travel via Purley for a rail replacement bus service.
Buses will run between:
- Purley and East Grinstead, but WILL NOT call at Riddlestown or Sanderstead
- Oxted and Edenbridge Town
- Edenbridge Town and Uckfield
- Passengers may use their tickets on Southeastern services via Tunbridge Wells, and on TfL Bus route 412 to / from Riddlesdown.
Get image downloads, Prints and Streaming Video
For the Latest Railway News
RailAdvent Online Shop
Framed Prints, DVD’s / Blu-Ray’s and more
Come and share your railway pictures
Mainline Steam Info
Upcoming mainline steam tours/loco movements
Visit their website