Avanti West Coast is today holding a launch event in Wrexham and has announced improvements, including new trains and more train services.
Avanti West Coast has taken over the operation of long-distance train services in North Wales from Virgin Trains.
We took a look at the WCML launch earlier this month, take a look here.
The train operator will make significant improvements to rail services in North Wales including:
- A new fleet of quieter bi-mode trains in 2022 on the Holyhead to London Euston route that also serves Bangor, Colwyn Bay, Llandudno Junction, Prestatyn and Rhyl.
- Withdrawing the diesel Super Voyager trains and cutting CO2 emissions by more than 60%
- More train services between North Wales and England including an additional service from Llandudno to London Euston from December 2020
- From December 2022, new direct services from Gobowen to London Euston that provides a rail link for nearby Oswestry
- ‘Delay Repay 15’ compensation for customers when trains are delayed by 15 minutes or more.
What did the officials say?
Ken Skates AM, Welsh Government Minister for Economy and Transport said:
“I’m pleased to welcome the start of the Avanti West Coast franchise and the increased services it will provide here in North Wales, as well as improved links to future high speed rail services. It is good to see the commitment to partnership working and I look forward to having meaningful engagement in the process for developing services to be delivered in the future.
“A commitment to work with Transport for Wales will ensure both franchises work collaboratively for passengers and stakeholders to deliver integrated services that meet the needs of Welsh customers fairly and equitably. We want to see improved services and connections for the people of North Wales that will deliver long-term benefits and I’m pleased to see the introduction of a new fleet of greener trains.”
Steve Montgomery, Managing Director of First Rail said:
“Our plans for new, greener trains, and for more services and new destinations will significantly enhance the quality of rail journeys for our customers travelling in and beyond North Wales. Avanti West Coast will work collaboratively with stakeholders and strategic partners such as Transport for Wales to bring communities across our network closer together.”
Ernesto Sicilia, Managing, Director of Trenitalia (UK), said:
“We’re honoured to begin operating rail services between Wales and England. Avanti represents our progressive and innovative values of quality, dynamism and innovation: this is what we want to guarantee to the people of North Wales”.
For the Latest Railway News
RailAdvent Online Shop
Framed Prints, DVD’s / Blu-Ray’s and more
Come and share your railway pictures
Avanti West Coast
Visit their website
Mainline Steam Info
Upcoming mainline steam tours/loco movements