Greater Anglia will run additional trains and will also have extra staff on hand ready for the Bury St Edmunds Christmas fayre that is being held this year.
The fayre has been hailed as one of the best in the region. It is held in the Suffolk market town and attracts thousands of people to attend every year. This year it will take place from November the 21st until November the 24th.
To help passengers get to the fayre safely, extra Greater Anglia staff will be present at Bury St Edmunds railway station.
In addition to the normal timetabled service, there will be four extra services running in each direction between Ipswich and Bury St Edmunds on Sunday the 24th November both before and after the Christmas Market.
The additional services are:
- 10.10 Ipswich to Bury St Edmunds (calling at Needham Market, Stowmarket, Elmswell and Thurston)
- 12.10 Ipswich to Bury St Edmunds (calling at Needham Market, Stowmarket, Elmswell and Thurston)
- 14.10 Ipswich to Bury St Edmunds (calling at Stowmarket)
- 16.10 Ipswich to Bury St Edmunds (calling at Stowmarket)
- 11.25 Bury St Edmunds to Ipswich (calling at Stowmarket)
- 13.25 Bury St Edmunds to Ipswich (calling at Stowmarket)
- 15.22 Bury St Edmunds to Ipswich (calling at Thurston, Elmswell, Stowmarket and Needham Market)
- 17.25 Bury St Edmunds to Ipswich (calling at Thurston, Elmswell, Stowmarket and Needham Market)
Trains will spend longer at Bury St Edmunds station, in order to allow people more time to board the train and alight from the train.
All the other trains will run with the maximum number of available carriages available on the day.
What did the officials say?
James Reeve, Greater Anglia’s Area Customer Service Manager, said:
“The Christmas market at Bury St Edmunds is one of the highlights of the Christmas calendar and we know many people choose to leave the car at home and travel there by train.
“Although we are running additional trains and extra carriages, we still anticipate these trains to be full.
“We expect trains to be very busy while the market is on and would encourage people to check before they travel and buy their tickets before boarding the train.”
Customers can find out train and journey times and buy tickets on the Greater Anglia website or app.
For the Latest Railway News
RailAdvent Online Shop
Framed Prints, DVD’s / Blu-Ray’s and more
Come and share your railway pictures
Mainline Steam Info
Upcoming mainline steam tours/loco movements