Thursday 8th August 2019 would see 45699 Galatea haul The Scarborough Spa Express once again.
The Scarborough Spa Express is a railtour ran by West Coast Railtours which usually runs from late spring to early autumn every year from Carnforth to Scabrborough & return via Holgate Siding & York which runs twice a month on a Thursday.
These tours run from Carnforth to Holgate Siding (in York) and back being diesel hauled and from Holgate Siding to Scarborough via York & back being steam hauled.
The Scarborough Spa Express (SSE for short) this season has been hauled by 45699 Galatea from late June to mid August. And from mid August to early September by 35018 British India Line.
The Scarborough Spa Express on 8th August would see the Jubilee head through places such as, Lancaster, Preston, Accrington, Burnley Manchester Road, Hebden Bridge, Oxenholme Lake District, Penrith North Lakes, Workington, Brighouse, Wakefield Kirkgate, Church Fenton, York, Malton & Seamer.
Thursday 8th August saw RailView 45699 Galatea at
- National Railway Museum, York, (LE & support coach) departing at 10:44 6 minutes early.
- York, (LE & support coach) Arriving at 11:04 3 minutes late & departing at 11:07 3 minutes early.
- River Ouse passing through at 12:15 3 minutes late.
- Scarborough Terrace, (in York) passing through at 12:16 3 minutes late
- Scarborough for a look around Galatea whilst sat on the platform.
- Seamer, passing through at 17:19 1 minute early.
- Seamer foot crossing, passing through at 17:19 1 minute late.
Info about 45699 Galatea:
- Designed by Sir William Stanier
- Built by the LMS at Crewe Works in 1936.
- Numbered 5699 in 1936
- Renumbered 45699 in 1948
- Withdrawn from BR service in 1964.
- Transferred to Woodham Brothers Scrapyard in 1965
- Purchased for preservation in 1980 as a spare donor for sister loco, 45690 Leander.
- She returned to steam in 2013 after a 10 year restoration by West Coast Railways
- She is based at Carnforth Steamtown in Lancashire.
- Her currently livery is BR lined maroon with late crest (a livery not carried by Jubilees in service days)
- She is operational and hauls mainline railtours mainly around the north, but has been known to visit the south.
Here is some photos from the day:
See more of videos like this on RailView’s YouTube Channel by clicking here.