Saturday 9th March 2019 saw 6233 Duchess of Sutherland were out on a mainline railtour for the first time this year.
The tour she hauled on 9th March 2019 was The Yorkshireman which is run by The Railway Touring Company, this being the 1st of the year. The next Yorkshireman tours for 2019 for are set on 29th June, hauled by 60103 Flying Scotsman & 19th October the being hauled by 6233 Duchess of Sutherland or 60009 Union of South Africa.
6233 Duchess of Sutherland hauled the tour on the outward leg from Ealing Broadway (London) to York & the return of the tour from York to Ealing Broadway (London) was diesel hauled, hauled by a West Coast Railways Class 47 Diesel Locomotive
Just before the tour would return, 6233 headed back to her home at Swanwick Junction at the PRCLTs West Shed at the Midland Railway Centre (Butterley)
Saturday 9th March saw RailView 6233 at Bolton-upon-Dearne, Yorkshire passing through on time at 13:14 & Chesterfield, Derbyshire on her light engine move from York to Butterley MRC arriving 7 minute late at 18:25 departing 2 minutes late at 18:26 running on time. The diesel hauled leg was also filmed at Chesterfield, arriving on time at 18:30 and departing on time at 18:32.
Some information on 6233 Duchess of Sutherland
- Designed by Sir William Stanier
- Built by the LMS in 1938 at Crewe Works
- She was withdrawn from BR in 1964
- Purchased by Butlins in 1964 she was taken to Ayr in Scotland for 7yrs
- Purchased by Alan Bloom in 1971 and was at Bressingham Steam Museum on permanent loan for 32yrs
- Purchased outright by Alan Bloom in 1989 and was moved to the East Lancashire Railway temporarily for an exercise to establish what repairs were necessary and how much they would cost.
- Purchased by The Princess Royal Class Locomotive Trust in 1996 and taken to The West Shed at Swanick Junction on the Midland Railway Centre where she was restored to working order in 2001
- The Duchess has hauled the Royal Train on two occasions
See more of videos like this on RailView’s YouTube Channel by clicking here.