The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust has released an update on the winter plans for 60163 Tornado, which is currently based at the Nene Valley Railway.
This update comes after the decision was made to withdraw 60163 Tornado from traffic for the remainder of 2018.
To allow the re-certification of the locomotive as well as repairs to its support coach, the following changes have been made to the mainline tour plan
- Saturday 1st December – ‘The Christmas Border Raider’ – West Midlands to Carlisle via the Settle & Carlisle Railway and return (this has now been re-dated as ‘The Border Raider’ to 13th April 2019 with Tornado coming on and off the train at Crewe).
- Saturday 15th December – ‘The Chester Chuffer’ – Birmingham to Chester and return (will run with an alternative steam locomotive) – Pathfinder Tours
The delays are due to additional administrative and audit tasks and delays to the repair work on support coach 21249 that were planned to already be completed.
The trust has decided to allow Tornado haul its first Santa Steam Specials on a heritage railway since it was completed in 2008. Tornado will be in service on the following days
- Saturday 24th and Sunday 25th November 2018 – Santa Steam Specials
- Saturday 8th and Sunday 9th December 2018 – Santa Steam Specials
- Saturday 15th and Sunday 16th December 2018 – Santa Steam Specials
- Saturday 22nd, Sunday 23rd and Christmas Eve Monday 24th December 2018 – Santa Steam Specials
- Saturday 29th and Sunday 30th December 2018 – Winter Warmer Mince Pie Specials
- Saturday 5th January 2019 – Driver Experience courses
- Sunday 6th January 2019 – Winter Steam services
- Friday 11th January 2019 – Driver Experience courses
- Saturday 12th January 2019 – Winter Steam services
For more details or to book online visitor telephone 01780 782833.
It is now anticipated that Tornado’s main line test run will not now take place until late in December or early in the New Year.
What did the officials say?
The Trust would like to take this opportunity to apologise for any disappointment and inconvenience caused by the above changes to Tornado’s itinerary.
For the Latest Railway News
RailAdvent Online Shop
Framed Prints, DVD’s / Blu-Ray’s and more
LocoStop – The RailAdvent Community
Come and share your railway pictures
A1 Steam Locomotive Trust
Visit their website