60009 Union of South Africa was out today (20th October 2018) from Ealing Broadway (London) to York returning later diesel hauled.
The tour is The Yorkshireman which usually runs a few times a year and is run by The Railway Touring Company, this being the 3rd and final one of the year.
Each Yorkshireman tour for 2018 has had a different loco the first being hauled by 70013 Oliver Cromwell and the second 60103 Flying Scotsman.
You may notice a colourful wreath on 60009. This is a tribute in memory of Nigel Dobbing director of The Railway Touring Company who passed away recently.
Today Railview filmed 60009 at Chesterfield, Derbyshire at 12.03 running on time and Slitting Mill sited near Barrow Hill Roundhouse in Derbyshire at 12.37 (passed with no report).
Here are some photos of RailView’s trip out today:
Some information about 60009 Union of South Africa:
- Designed by Sir Nigel Gresley
- Built by The LNER in 1937 at Doncaster Works
- She was withdrawn from BR in 1966
- Her original name, Osprey
- Her second/current name, Union of South Africa
- She was purchased by John Cameron in 1966 who is her current owner
See more of videos like this on RailView’s YouTube Channel by clicking here.