Episode 34 of our ‘Throwback Thursdays’ series sees us steam back to 2011 as we see Hunslet Loco ‘Thomas Bach’ at Gilfach Ddu on the Llanberis Lake Railway, which is situated in North Wales, United Kingdom.
Gilfach Ddu is where all trains start and finish their day, the station is joined by a café, shop and the National Slate Museum is also sited at Gilfach Ddu
Thomas Bach (Hunslet No.849), was built in 1904, and originally worked at Dinorwic Quarry, running with No. 7 Nameplate. The locomotive was later named Wild Aster after a racehorse. Thomas Bach was in need of repair when bought by the Llanberis Lake Railway and returned to service after a restoration in 1988, ‘Thomas Bach’ is now the name of the loco. Thomas Bach, or ‘Little Thomas’ refers to the nickname of the original driver in the locomotives Quarry Days.
- Read other TBT Posts
Catch up with the series
- Read other Llanberis Lake Railway Posts
Here on the RailAdvent website
- Visit the Llanberis Lake Railway Website
For more information